Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Stick to the Point

Miltonian arguments are stripping off the roll faster than a normal American citizen or alien observer can tally, and they are unwinding variegations more multiple than manifest, why You, the American citizen Voter should favor one of the candidates over another. As for me, I think that is right: I made up my mind months ago and am simply keeping pace in the event I logically should have to change my mind (despite the fact that I have felt mostly emotionally connected to my candidate before and since the issue of the campaign and upcoming election threw such a broad shade over my intellectual affairs).

Having survived one convention and managed not to consider myself too terribly insulted by the tactical and strategic packaging of it and its cloying messages, and duly prepared to take advantage of the interim vacation of Viewer-Eye-Ear-and-Rear (Veer) Disease, I am ready for the barrage to follow, swelling out of New York City -- Ground Zero of activist complaint and demonstrations. For me, I suppose it will be a little like Chicago 1964, Mayor Daly (Bloomburg) calling out the milita if necessary to quell the opposing streeetside troops of one or another group of Citizens-With-Signs. I do not expect and hope not to observe and overturned and burning cars or beer bottle blasted windows. In fact, I wish everyone who doesn't have the authority of a formal convention role would just, well, stay home and wind yarn.

Or, rather than come apart at the seams while foaming at the mouth for reason of objection or elation over words of convention celebrations, use the spare time to engage in a little "bun-burying" my first true love used to call it.

Like Boston, those who object to over-commercialization in the American economy might simultaneously celebrate and contribute to non-involvement under the Sabrett's umbrella, while maitre-d' across Gotham wring their hands and chefs send soon-to-spoil foodstuffs to soup kitchens throughout the Island of Manhattan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home