Saturday, September 24, 2005

Serenity ~ The Movie

My first sci-fi was something called "The Marvelous Trip to the Mushroom Planet" that was recommended to me by the local smalltown librarian when I was 11 years-old, and by the time I was a freshman in college I was knocking myself out reading up to five -- no shucking you! -- sci-fi novels a day ... instead of the homework and assignments to which I was supposed to be attending, indeed, devoting my energies.

This practice danged near got me booted out on my ear at the end of the first semester, of course, and so I mended my ways thereafter...albeit slowly and, until late in my Junior year, only enough to evade capture by the auto-kicker. I kept on reading. That is, I kept on readintg sci-fi until that media turned dark and almost gothic, about which time I had enough and indulged myself and my hours in more classic literature, writing, publishing, and helping to run a college literary journal and the kind of social clique that supported the college theatre, newspaper, journal and readings. Most of my literary sci-fi adventures slipped away until the better sort of sci-fi movies began to appear ("Them!" and so forth) and were slowly but surely overtaken by not only better scripts but far far better cinematic photography and then technology.

I find myself now on the near-eve of the appearance of Serenity ~ The Movie (as narrowly distinct from the craft/ship/boat) and slapping the reins awaiting the first local showing on Tuesday night, after which (if you stick around ;-) I'll be right back here with more joy - oh, I do so hope: I mean to say, we've gotta keep this television adventure running on full plasma!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home